Good morning, Chennai!
☀️ Today’s weather: High: 33 ℃ | Low: 23 ℃ | A sunny day ahead.
🧐 Did you know? The centuries-old Musee Musical store has catered to the likes of MS Subbulakshmi and Rabindranath Tagore. It was founded in 1842 and has serviced many types of musical instruments.
🌼 Flower show
A flower show at Semmozhi Poonga commemorates the birth centenary of Karunanidhi.
What’s it about? The Horticulture Department has organised a 10-day flower show at Semmozhi Poonga to celebrate the birth centenary celebrations of former Chief Minister M Karunanidhi.
- The show features over 12 lakh flowers on display. The evenings will have cultural programmes scheduled.
- There are a variety of flower displays, including bears, boats, clocks, a tower garden, and flower carpets.
Types of flowers: The lakhs of flowers include varieties like Roses, Tulip Iris, Orchids, Pansy, and Cyclamen.
🚌 Koyambedu’s woes
With bus services being shifted to Kilambakkam, traders and wholesalers at the Koyambedu market have been affected.
What’s it about? With the inauguration of the Kilambakkam bus terminus and services being shifted there, the usual hustle and bustle at the Koyambedu market is missing. Traders say business has reduced by 25% over the past two weeks. Sales usually peaked in the early hours when passengers would take buses to other districts.
- Due to low sales, perishable and unsold items are discarded since there aren’t any storage facilities. Some, like flower sellers, are forced to sell at lower prices. Yet, many still go unsold, and they’re forced to dump them.
- There has also been a wastage of fruits and vegetables of over 10 tonnes every day. Due to price fluctuations, traders are forced to sell them at the lowest possible price.
Plea to the government: Due to the pandemic, out of over 4,000 shops, 300-400 have remained empty since. More vendors and retailers have left since the new bus terminus’ opening. Traders have submitted a petition to the government demanding half of the inter-district buses remain at the Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus (CMBT).
✈️ Passing over Chennai
Chennai is being replaced by Hyderabad and Bengaluru as points of call for long-haul flights.
What’s it about? Chennai won’t get many long-haul widebody flights as existing foreign airlines are struggling to operate due to limited infrastructure. There are only four aerobridges in the international terminal, forcing airlines to use remote parking bays and ferry passengers by buses to the terminal.
- Despite the ₹4,000 crore expansion, Chennai won’t be a Code F airport capable of handling an A380 due to inadequate taxiways and aerobridges. The airport is designated as a brownfield with greater expansion not feasible.
- Bengaluru and Hyderabad can handle larger and more aircraft. While there’s a big demand for Chennai-Australia flights, only Bengaluru has a direct one.
The numbers: Due to the airport’s limitations, international carriers have opted for Bengaluru and Hyderabad. In December 2023, Chennai handled over 5.1 lakh passengers. That’s a 12.9% increase over the corresponding period in 2022.
🚸 Managing traffic
The traffic police launched an initiative for parents and students to manage traffic near school zones.
What’s it about? The ‘school traffic volunteer scheme’ was launched after parents volunteered to manage traffic at school zones due to persistent traffic jams. Parents and students will be trained on traffic rules, pedestrian safety, and regulations.
- The pilot will take place at St Marys Higher Secondary School, Parrys; Vidhyodaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School, T Nagar; Kendriya Vidhyalaya, IIT campus, Guindy, and SBOA Matriculation School in Anna Nagar.
- The traffic wardens trained at IIT Madras will impart practical knowledge on traffic rules and help students, parents, and teachers with safe driving practices.
Assistance: The volunteers will also be a bridge between law enforcement and students for road safety. The volunteers will be assisted by Road Safety Patrol (RSP) cadets for their safe commute.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Have you ever paid a traffic fine?
- I have paid a traffic fine.
- I haven’t paid a traffic fine.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
Which area of Chennai needs better traffic management?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- Healthcare providers and doctors were awarded certificates and medals for their service during Cyclone Michaung.
- The Tambaram Corporation has encouraged residents to pay taxes via QR codes.
- Agitated commuters staged a protest on GST Road over long waiting times for buses at the Kilambakkam bus terminus.
- New traffic diversions have been announced at Anna flyover and Sterling Road to facilitate metro construction.
- The fascinating story behind one of Chennai’s famous eateries, the Seena Bhai Tiffin Centre.
That’s it for today. Have a great day!