Good morning, Chennai!
🌦️ Today’s weather: It’s going to be cloudy with scattered thunderstorms.
🧐 Did you know? The Arignar Anna Zoological Park, also known as the Vandalur Zoo, was the first public zoo in India. It was established in 1855.
🛺 Murugappa Group enters the EV market
The Murugappa Group enters the electric vehicle (EV) market with its Montra Electric 3W Auto.
Story so far: For the past 3 years, the company has been working on its EV project with a budget of ₹200 crores. While the EV market is still in its infancy in India, the company sees potential in the 3-wheeler EV market. The company launched the Montra EV through its TI Clean Mobility company.
- The auto has a 10-kWh battery pack with a range of 197 km. It has a top speed of 55 kmph.
- It also has a multi-drive mode for better range economy and a park assist mode to better navigate through traffic.
Future ambitions: The company wants to be among the top 3 in the next couple of years. Its initial focus will be on the Southern states. It plans to increase its dealer network to 100 by the end of this fiscal. The company’s facility in Ambattur has a built-in capacity of 75,000 units.
🐢 A hub for tortoise smuggling
Experts say Chennai is still a hub for smuggling live star tortoises to locations in India and abroad.
Story so far: The star tortoise is one of the species illegally traded out of Chennai. More than 2,200 live star tortoises had been seized at two locations in India and one abroad. In India, they were located in Bengaluru and Kolkata. The one abroad was Bangkok. All the consignments originated from Chennai.
- The tortoises were sent to Kolkata by train. They were caught by the railway police.
- From there it reached the northeast and then South East Asian countries. There’s a high demand to keep them as pets.
Protections: The star tortoise is protected by the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972. The trade continues because of inadequate vigilance and a lack of data on its population.
💡 Chennai is getting more streetlights
The Corporation is planning to install 5,594 new LED streetlights and 85 high tower lights across several locations.
Story so far: In many localities, residents complained of thefts and safety concerns due to a lack of streetlights. The Chennai Corporation has a list of locations from the police identified as “dark spots.”
- More than 1,000 new lights will be installed in Tondiarpet, 1,000 in Thiru Vi Ka Nagar and Kolathur. Anna Nagar and Kodambakam will also receive the new lights.
- The police will contribute 49 high towers of LED lights at more than 600 sites. The lights will be installed under the Nirbhaya scheme.
Cost: The total cost of the installation is estimated to be ₹33.57 crores.
👤 Gandhi statue to be shifted temporarily
Due to the Metro Rail construction, the Gandhi statue at Marina Beach will be shifted to another location.
Story so far: The iconic Gandhi statue will be temporarily relocated to facilitate the Metro Rail construction. Authorities have already barricaded a nearly 1 km long stretch near the statue for soil testing.
- The Metro will have the underground Lighthouse station as part of phase 2 of the Chennai Metro. The beach stretch is part of the 5.15 km route from the Lighthouse to Bharathidasan Road station.
- This is part of the Porur to Poonamallee route on corridor 4. The first part of this is slated to open by 2025.
Benefit: While the statue won’t be at its usual place for a few years, the metro line is expected to benefit residents in Porur and Mylapore who want to take a direct train to the beach.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Have you been to the Arignar Anna Zoological Park?
- Yes, I have.
- No, I haven’t.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
Who is your favourite cricketer?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- Civic agencies are planning to give Chennai climate-resilient infrastructure.
- The vacant plot at Dhanalakshmi Nagar that posed a health risk has now been sanitised.
- Looks like the ticket vending machines at the Metro stations are going to be removed.
- This rooftop bar in Chennai lets you dine inside transparent igloos.
- Lindström India expanded its workwear service unit in the city.
🛋️ Local Lounge
Yesterday’s Poll Results:
- I follow the IPL regularly: 50.0% 🏆
- I don’t follow the IPL regularly: 50.0% 🏆
Answers to Yesterday’s Question:
What’s your dream holiday destination?
Kovid: “Interlaken, Switzerland”
That’s it for today. Have a great day!