Good morning, Chennai!
⛅ Today’s weather: Sunny with some cloud cover.
🧐 Did you know? Subramanyam Chandrasekhar, an alumnus of Hindu High School, is the only Nobel laureate to have done their schooling in the city.
🌊 Cleaning the Buckingham Canal
A bioremediation process will clean the Canal to make it odour-free with clearer water.
What’s it about? Over the next few months, the Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) and the Water Resources Department (WRD) will carry out the process to decontaminate the Canal. If successful, it’ll be replicated at Island Grounds to make boating a reality once the Cooum becomes pollution-free.
- Five barrels connected to pipes installed across the Canal will release 500 litres of bio-culture mixed with 1,500 litres of water. The microbes will degrade the pollutants.
- To slow the flow, bunds have been constructed. Depending on the flow of the water, the quantity of the culture will be adjusted. Along the Canal, five dosing points have been set up. The test will be done along the 1.89 km stretch between Bharathi Salai and Lock Nagar across Wallajah Road.
Chemistry: The process will help reduce the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) and chemical oxygen demand (COD) and help replenish the water body. It’ll help change the colour of the water and remove the stench.
🚑 A race against time
For the city’s ambulance drivers, overcoming the city’s various challenges is part of the job to save lives.
What’s it about? For ambulance drivers in the city, it’s a race against time as they have to wade through city traffic and honking motorists. For some, an emergency means missing out on important family events.
- Driving an ambulance is more than just driving fast. They need to be aware of road and traffic conditions. They need to take into account traffic diversions due to metro rail work, for example. On several occasions, motorists don’t take notice and move out of the way.
- Another challenge they face is arriving at the correct location. Patients or caregivers sometimes send the wrong address or location pin. Then there’s the issue of parking at the location.
Training: In cases of physical trauma, the drivers are trained to position the ambulance and help handle patients to minimise pain and discomfort. They’re also taught basic life support techniques like CPR and classifying the type of emergency.
🚇 Powerhouse – Poonamallee metro
The new Powerhouse to Poonamallee metro line may be complete by 2024 end.
What’s it about? Come 2025, commuters may be able to travel from Kodambakkam to Poonamallee by metro. Construction of the 16 km line from Powerhouse to Poonamallee bypass could be completed by the end of 2024.
- Construction of 13 of the 18 stations on this stretch is already underway. Currently, the viaducts are being installed, along with entry and exit points at six stations – Alapakkam, Valsaravakkam, Saligramam, Thelliagaram, Kattupakkam, and Poonamallee.
- There’s a double-decker line with four stations that is more complex and will take additional months to complete. The 8 km stretch from Porur to Poonamallee will be done faster and is expected to open by the end of 2025.
Metro route: The 16 km stretch is part of the 26 km corridor 4 from Lighthouse to Poonamallee Bypass. Linking corridors 3 and 4 will take additional time and be commissioned in 2028.
🚻 Swachh Bharat toilets unused
The toilets built under the Swachh Bharat scheme in Tambaram have been left unused.
What’s it about? The toilets, built for ₹50 crore, have been locked and remain unused, making them inaccessible to the public. They were sanctioned to eradicate open defecation in the area.
- Many toilets in East and West Tambaram were locked, resulting in people urinating in public. Those that are unlocked are unusable due to lack of water and poor maintenance.
- There isn’t a grievance mechanism to address the issue. According to DS Sivasamy, former director of municipal administration, the Corporation has a manpower shortage.
History: In 2013, the Tamil Nadu government allocated ₹8 crore to build over 300 toilets in public buildings across 108 municipalities. They also allocated ₹50 crore to improve the over 600 existing toilets and build 404 new ones.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Is there an existing/upcoming metro station at a walkable distance from your residence?
- There is an existing/upcoming metro station at a walkable distance.
- There isn’t an existing/upcoming metro station at a walkable distance.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
What’s a hidden gem in Chennai you would recommend people visit?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- The foundation stone was laid for several housing projects by the TNUHDB.
- Accessing the Tirusulam station from the airport continues to be a hassle.
- Here are the details of the newly inaugurated Chennai-Tirunelveli Vande Bharat Express.
- Go on a trip down memory lane about the city’s rivers and their historical significance.
- Doctors and nurses haven’t been paid their salaries at the Kalaignar Centenary Speciality Hospital three months after its inauguration.
That’s it for today. Have a great day!