Good morning, Bengaluru!
🌦️ Today’s weather: Expect cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms throughout the day.
🧐 Did you know? Sankey Tank, located in Central Bengaluru, was constructed in 1882 by chief engineer Col. Richard Hieram Sankey in order to meet the increasing water demand. It is one of the few remaining tanks in the city.
🚆 Cantonment railway station ready for revamp
The railway ministry shared a proposal for a new digital design for the Cantonment railway station, similar to that of the outline of the Kempegowda International Airport.
Story so far: The ministry shared the proposal on social media which aims to provide the railway station with modern facilities. Located in central Bengaluru, the Cantonment station receives many passengers leading to severe traffic congestion outside its premises.
- The proposal outlines a new design that is expected to make the movement of passengers more comfortable.
- The move aims to streamline the sea of passengers, especially during festivals.
Similar railway station: The South Western Railways opened a similarly designed station early last year named Sir M Visvesvaraya Baiyappanahalli Railway terminal. Deemed one of the most modern railway stations in the country, it has seven platforms with food courts, air-conditioned waiting lounges and a vast parking space.
🛫 Bengaluru-San Francisco direct flights soon
Air India, the biggest operator of non-stop flights from India to the US, has announced a new direct flight from Bengaluru to San Francisco starting in October-end.
Story so far: Air India will start nonstop service between the two silicon cities twice a week from October-end. This initiative comes after United Airlines’ proposed direct flight kept getting deferred as western airlines are not overflying Russian airspace. This is also the reason for the delay in the launch of American Airlines’ Bengaluru-Seattle direct flight.
- The Bengaluru-San Fransisco route is in popular demand as Indian-origin American entrepreneurs have pointed out the lack of connectivity.
- Since Air India still overflies the Russian airspace, its flights have access to the shortest route possible.
Bigger fleet: Air India has also announced that it will be leasing five Boeing 777 long-range aircraft. After these have been added to the fleet, Bengaluru-San Francisco flights will operate three times every week.
💸 Digital banking provider raises ₹210 crores
Bengaluru-based digital banking infrastructure provider Signzy said it had raised ₹210 crores from Gaja Capital and its existing investors, Vertex Ventures and Arkam Ventures.
Story so far: The fintech company is planning to use the funds to boost its product portfolio. Founded by Ankit Ratan, Ankur Pandey and Arpit Ratan in 2015, Signzy is a no-code AI platform called GO. It is being increasingly adopted by numerous banks and financial service providers.
- This technology is allowing banks to undergo transformation without disturbing underlying legacy systems.
- It allows banks and financial institutions to offer fintech-like user experiences.
Patents: The company has filed 8 patents in the US and 9 in India. It also received a US patent for banking in the metaverse this year. Signzy was also granted an authorisation certificate by the International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) for a unified KYC Solution.
🛕 11th Century temple discovered by digitised inscriptions
A conservation project that digitally maps stone inscriptions in the city has led to the discovery of the 11th-century Siddeshwara temple.
Story so far: The Mythic Society Bengaluru Inscriptions 3D Digital Conservation Project team has flagged two inscriptions in the Hesaraghatta region to identify the temple. The two inscriptions were dated 1033 CE and were found on stones in a grove in Kumarahalli village.
- The two inscriptions, one in Kannada and the other in Tamil, denote “the boundary of God Sri Siddeshwara’s land.”
- The director of the project, Udayakumar PL, stated that the temple structure remains, however, the deity was likely to have been changed.
The conservation project: The findings of the Mythic Society have been a result of ongoing work to conserve stone inscriptions in the city and Ramnagara districts.
- The team has already discovered over 90 unpublished inscriptions, most of which pertain to land being donated for the construction of temples or lakes.
- The team uses hand-held digital scanners to find the inscriptions. 3D models are built with the help of sophisticated software.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Have you studied abroad?
- Yes, I have studied abroad.
- No, I haven’t studied abroad.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
If you could be a celebrity, who would you be and why?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- Bengaluru police have announced traffic restrictions over the next three days on account of President Draupadi Murmu’s visit to the city.
- Bengaluru-based Ashoka Trust for Research and the Environment (ATREE) on Monday said that its researchers had identified major hotspots of concern to initiate the restoration of the Thamirabarani river.
- CarterX, a Bengaluru-based tech logistics startup, offers services such as door-to-destination airport luggage logistics solutions and has collaborated with major airlines, including AirAsia and Spicejet.
- Karnataka hotel owners have decided to meet Power Minister V Sunil Kumar, fearing that the power tariff hike of 43 paise will hurt their businesses.
- Residents of Jayanagar held a protest against Bengaluru MP Tejasvi Surya on Sunday over the decision to hand over the Chandragupta Maurya playground to private parties.
🛋️ Local Lounge
Yesterday’s Poll Results:
- I prefer to shop from Amazon: 88.0% 🏆
- I prefer to shop from Flipkart: 12.0%
That’s it for today. Have a great day!