Good morning, Bengaluru!
🌧️ Today’s weather: It looks like the same deal as yesterday – partly cloudy with high humidity and a possibility of heavy rain in the evening.
🏏 India-South Africa T20I: Metro timings extended
If you are attending the final T20 International match between India and South Africa this Sunday, then here’s some good news. Namma Metro timing will be extended till 1 am to facilitate the movement of the spectators after the match.
Namma Metro: Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) noted that the last trains from Kengeri, Nagasandra, Baiyappanahalli and Silk Institute will leave at 1 am on June 20, while trains from Majestic towards all the four directions will leave at 1.30 am.
Special paper tickets costing ₹50 for the return journey from Cubbon Park metro station will also be issued from 3 pm at all stations on Sunday. It will be valid from 10 pm till the last trains depart for the night.
- While the onward journey to Cubbon Park station can be undertaken through tokens and smart cards, the return journey after the match ends will only be allowed through paper tickets.
Buses: Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) has also announced additional buses to the stadium from all over the city, depending on the traffic.
📝 Renewal of the Hindi imposition row
A circular stating that only Hindi-speaking college students from the state are eligible for a tour to Uttrakhand sparked a row on social media.
Story so far: The tour is organised in light of the 75th Independence day celebrations (Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav) under the ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ initiative. A circular has been doing the rounds which states that only Hindi-speaking students will be selected for the trip. This has received widespread negative feedback.
- Former Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy claimed this incident was a conspiracy to implement the ‘One Bharat, One Language’ policy and sought the issuing of a revised circular.
Clarification: Karnataka Primary and Secondary Education Minister BC Nagesh clarified that no such instructions were issued by the state or central government. Disciplinary action will be taken against the officials responsible for the issuance of this circular.
📜 Fake delimitation draft on social media
A copy of the city’s delimitation draft is making rounds on social media. Officials say the document is fake.
What’s happening: The delimitation report on 243 wards has called for many opinions from netizens. Those who were able to access that document said the ward numbers and reservations did not match. Only 198 wards out of 243 were accessible on the circulated file. The government was criticised for the public method of bifurcation.
- But officials from Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) and the Urban Development Department (UDD) have confirmed that the document is fake.
Know more: BBMP stated that the UDD is responsible for uploading the file. According to their statements, UDD is yet to upload the list of 243 wards since the file is with the CMO. The pressure from citizens to release the draft is increasing.
✈️ PM Modi to inaugurate Terminal-2
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has agreed to inaugurate Terminal-2 of Kempegowda International Airport in October at BIAL’s request.
Story so far: The event is supposed to take place in the first week of October. The confirmation was shared by the Prime Minister’s office with the airport operator in Bengaluru International Airport Ltd (BIAL).
- It was BIAL’s request for the Prime Minister to do the honours for the ₹13,000 crore terminal.
Know more: This airport terminal will be the third infrastructure project that the Prime Minister will inaugurate. The other two projects are the suburban railway project and the Sir M V Visvesvaraya Terminal on June 20.
- KIA is the country’s 3rd largest airport and recorded 33 million passengers in 2020. Terminal-2 also known as the ‘garden terminal’ is set to boost the airport’s annual capacity by 25 million.
✨ Things to do…
Here’s everything you can do over the weekend in Bengaluru!
- Have a story to tell? Step onto the stage at the non-profit initiative Listeners’ Circle, Dialogues Cafe, JP Nagar this Sunday night! Find the details here.
- Nivedita Jajoo is hosting a Bollyhop Dance Workshop this Saturday morning at Lahe Lahe, a perfect opportunity to retrace those long-lost dance steps! Register here.
- Indiranagar Social is hosting Satrangi Mela on Sunday, an inclusive all-queer fest including workshops, interactive activities and glamorous drag performances! Check out more details here.
- Reconnect with your inner yogi by attending Yogathon by cult.fit hosted at Sree Kanteerava Indoor Stadium this Sunday. Register here.
- Tough week? Let yourself loose and enjoy a musical night at Social Select Sundaze hosted by Koramangala Social this Sunday. See more details here.
That’s it for today. Have a great weekend!