Good morning, Bengaluru!
⛈️ Today’s weather: Brace yourself for yet another day with scattered thunderstorms and high chances of rain.
🧐 Did you know? As of 2020, IT firms in Bengaluru employed about 1.5 million employees in the IT and IT-enabled services (ITES) sectors, out of nearly 4.4 million employees across India.
🚇 First metro pier in airport
In a major breakthrough, the first metro pier was erected inside the Kempegowda International Airport during the construction of the metro rail to the destination.
Story so far: In the final stretch of Namma Metro’s airport rail, a significant step was completed today as the first Metro pier has been planted inside the airport campus. The total stretch of the airport route starting from KR Puram to Kempegowda International Airport is 38.44 km, and this has been divided into 3 packages.
- The majority of the metro route, with 17 stations, will be elevated but it will go underground within the airport.
- Two stations will be built inside the airport terminal by Bengaluru International Airport Limited.
Many stations: The airport route of the metro will cover many areas around the city. Some of these include Kalyan Nagar, Yelahanka, HBR Layout, Airport City and finally halt at KIAL Terminal. The deadline for this project is March 2025 and authorities hope to see a boost in ridership of the metro once this is set up.
🔭 IIA involved in making ‘Dark Sky Reserve’
Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) in Bengaluru will help set up India’s first ‘Dark Sky Reserve’ in Ladakh.
Story so far: The reserve is set to be completed in three months according to a tripartite MoU signed between the Ladakh administration, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC) and IIA.
- The sanctuary will pose as one of the highest-located sites in the world for optical, gamma ray and infrared telescopes.
- Preservation of the night sky is the need of the hour for scientific observations, and these are being disrupted by unwanted pollution.
Additional developments: The project will also lead to the first-ever ‘Night Sky Sanctuary’ that will be built in Hanle, Ladakh. The Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary is also being developed under this project.
🚌 Students demand extension of pass validity
Following multiple requests to extend the validity of BMTC bus passes, college students staged a protest for the same on Saturday.
Story so far: Many students are worried about their transport as the academic year 2021-22 ends by the end of September while bus passes had expired on August 31. After submitting an appeal to BMTC for an extension, the transport corporation allowed the extension only for final-year students.
- Hundreds of students protested at Freedom Park, demanding an extension across the board until the end of the academic year.
- To add to their troubles, examinations will be held in September.
Unfair fees: Victimising students who are already facing financial difficulties is unfair. Students are demanding an extension until all the exams are over and that they should be allowed to do so without bearing additional fees.
🍽️ Review: Fox in the field
Here’s a review of the ‘Fox In The Field’ restaurant by Vignesh (founder of The Local Brief).
Saturday fun: After watching back-to-back movies in Cinepolis at Nexus Shantiniketan on Saturday, my wife and I had dinner at the ‘Fox In The Field’ restaurant.
Food ordered: The options on the menu were sizeable. For starters, we had Thai Style Pork and All-Beloved Chilly Chicken. Then we ordered Butter Naan and Kashmiri Mountain Mutton Curry. We washed it down with Fresh Lime Soda. The portions were enough for the two of us.
- The pork was great! It was crispy and slightly sweet. But the chilly chicken was below par, and we found the taste to be slightly odd.
- The combination of naan and mutton curry was good. The mutton literally melted in our mouths!
Seating: There was no waiting period at the restaurant as we were given a table as soon as we entered. The table was on the terrace.
- Tip: We were seated near the live kitchen counter. At times, smoke from the counter made it to our table, and it became difficult to breathe. So try to avoid sitting near the kitchen.
Service: Although we ordered directly through my phone after scanning a QR code, some waiters were hovering close by in case we needed anything. Also, we did not wait too long before the food was served.
- Overall, apart from the chilly chicken, we had a great meal at the restaurant.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Have you watched multiple movies on the same day in the theatre?
- Yes, I have.
- No, I haven’t.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
What’s your best memory of watching a sunrise or a sunset?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- The ‘Bengaluru brand’ has taken a beating in light of the city being flooded due to poor infrastructure during the unrelenting rains.
- KSRTC is set to operate special buses to various regions in Kerala in view of the Onam festival.
- The ED seizes ₹17 crores worth of funds after raiding Paytm, Razorpay, and Cashfree premises in Bengaluru.
- Considered the pensioners’ paradise, Bengaluru has witnessed an increase in crimes against senior citizens.
- Started in 2020, Smart City’s Avenue Road revival project is still awaiting completion after two years.
That’s it for today. Have a great day!