Good morning, Bengaluru!
🌧️ Today’s weather: Cloudy and rainy.
🧐 Did you know? UB City, India’s first luxury shopping destination, is built on 13 acres of land and consists of 6 blocks.
💃🏾 Bengaluru Habba inaugurated
Bengaluru Habba was inaugurated by Deputy Chief Minister DK Shivakumar on Thursday.
What’s it about? Deputy CM DK Shivakumar officially inaugurated the ‘Bengaluru Habba’, an 11-day festival celebrating the art, culture, and life of Bengaluru. The event began with a traditional bullock cart procession from the Chikpet locality, a nod to the city’s founder Kempegowda and his inclusive vision for Bengaluru.
- Shivakumar emphasised the significance of preserving Bengaluru’s culture and traditions.
- The festival, supported by the government, will be held in 300 locations around the city, aiming to engage the public in cultural festivities.
Celebrating culture: ‘Bengaluru Habba’ is a platform for the residents to connect with their roots and cultural heritage, with plans to expand the celebration to every ward and assembly constituency in the future. This initiative underscores the importance of community involvement in preserving and celebrating local culture.
🧑🏽💼 Bengaluru leads in self-made entrepreneurs
Bengaluru emerges as India’s top hub for self-made entrepreneurs.
What’s it about? A report by Hurun India highlights Bengaluru as the leading city for self-made entrepreneurs in India, surpassing Mumbai, Gurugram, and New Delhi. The report lists 129 industry leaders from Bengaluru, marking it as a significant hub for innovation and business growth in the millennium.
- The list includes Radhakishan Damani of Avenue Supermarkets at the top, followed by Flipkart founders Binny Bansal and Sachin Bansal.
- The sectors most represented include financial services, retail, and healthcare, with a combined company value of ₹30 lakh crore.
Successful ventures: This report underlines Bengaluru’s status as India’s Silicon Valley and a thriving ecosystem for self-made business success stories.
🏢 Thales expands in Bengaluru
Thales opened a new office in Bengaluru, reinforcing its India expansion.
What’s it about? French aerospace giant Thales has inaugurated a new office in Bengaluru, reinforcing its commitment to expanding its operations in India. This move follows the establishment of its Engineering Competence Centre (ECC) in Bengaluru in 2019, which focuses on software and hardware capabilities in both the civil and defence sectors.
- The Bengaluru ECC is part of Thales’s global R&D investment, which also includes a centre in Noida.
- Thales’s Bengaluru teams are instrumental in developing advanced aerospace and defence systems.
Glocal: This expansion underscores Thales’s strategy of integrating global expertise with local talent to support both Indian and international markets.
🔋 Uber Green launched
Uber introduces eco-friendly rides in Bengaluru.
What’s it about? Uber has launched Uber Green, its flagship electric vehicle service, in Bengaluru, offering residents sustainable ride options. The service was inaugurated at the Bengaluru Tech Summit by Karnataka’s IT Minister Priyank Kharge. Initially available in central Bengaluru, Uber plans to extend this service city-wide.
- Uber Green allows riders to choose environmentally friendly transportation directly through the app.
- This initiative aligns with Bengaluru’s commitment to improving air quality and promoting sustainability.
Sustainability: Uber’s move to launch Uber Green in Bengaluru, following its introduction in Mumbai, signifies the company’s dedication to environmental sustainability in India.
✨ Things to do…
Here are some fun and interesting things to do in the city over the weekend!
- Attend Echoes of Earth, India’s greenest music and lifestyle festival this weekend.
- Hop on a culinary adventure at Akshayakalpa Organic’s Cheese Board Workshop on Saturday.
- Catch Carnatic maestro Sanjay Subrahmanyan perform live this Saturday.
- Sunil Grover brings his kind of comedy to the city this Saturday.
- Enjoy a movie night under the sky this weekend.
🛋️ Local Lounge
Yesterday’s Poll Results:
- Bengaluru needs a second airport: 75.0% 🏆
- Bengaluru does not need a second airport: 25.0%
Answers to Yesterday’s Question:
Which is your favourite bakery in Bengaluru?
Deeksha: “OG Variar”
That’s it for today. Have a great weekend!