Good morning, Bengaluru!
🌧️ Today’s weather: Generally cloudy with some rain.
🧐 Did you know? Christ (Deemed to be University) has been ranked among the top 100 universities in India at 67 in NIRF.
🍼 Nursing pods at railway stations
Bengaluru Division introduces modern nursing pods for young mothers.
What’s it about? The Bengaluru Division of Indian Railways is set to provide enhanced comfort for young mothers with the installation of modern nursing pods at key railway stations. These eight pods will be equipped with cushioned seats and diaper-changing units, offering privacy and convenience.
- The initiative is a public-private partnership, with Bulls Eye Media contracted to install and maintain the pods.
- Locations include KSR Bengaluru City Station, Yesvantpur, Sir M Visvesvaraya Terminal, Cantonment, and Dharmapuri stations.
More facilities: This development, aimed at improving the travel experience for mothers with infants, complements other upcoming amenities like Relaxation Centres and hi-tech storage facilities. The nursing pods are part of a broader effort to make railway stations more accommodating and family-friendly.
🐩 All India Championship Dog Show
The All India Championship Dog Show was held in Bengaluru over the weekend.
What’s it about? The Veterinary College football ground in Hebbal transformed into a showcase of canine elegance with the All India Championship Dog Show. Around 500 pedigreed dogs from over 50 breeds participated in the event, which was organized by the Silicon City Kennel Club and the Bangalore Canine Club.
- The show featured a variety of breeds, from Great Danes to Siberian Huskies, highlighting their unique attributes.
- International and Indian judges oversaw the event, which also included exhibitions by pet care brands.
Enduring bond: This event not only displayed the beauty and diversity of dog breeds but also celebrated the enduring human-canine bond. It served as a platform for canine enthusiasts from across the country to connect and share their passion for dogs.
🦽 Wheelchair-friendly resting point for gig workers
A unique resting facility for food delivery workers was inaugurated in Bengaluru.
What’s it about? On International Day of Special Needs, BJP leader and Karnataka MP Tejasvi Surya unveiled a wheelchair-friendly resting point near the Bangalore South MP’s office. This innovative facility, a collaboration between the Bangalore South Constituency Development Fund and Zomato, is the first in India designed specifically for online food delivery workers, including those who use wheelchairs.
- The resting point offers crucial amenities like charging stations, comfortable seating, toilets, and water facilities.
- Zomato, which employs over 200 wheelchair delivery partners in India, has provided electric vehicles for them through Neo Motion.
Dedicated space: This initiative acknowledges the hard work of food delivery workers, especially those overcoming challenges such as navigating through Bengaluru’s traffic and weather conditions. It aims to provide them with a dedicated space to rest and recharge, ensuring better work conditions and inclusivity.
🏞️ Slow uptake of Bioresource Access Agreements
Bengaluru’s compliance with the Access Benefit Sharing rule under the Biological Diversity Act remains limited, with only four local companies signing agreements.
What’s it about? The implementation of the Access Benefit Sharing (ABS) rule under the Biological Diversity (BD) Act, 2002, has seen minimal progress in Bengaluru and across Karnataka. The Karnataka Biodiversity Board (KBB) reports that only four Bengaluru-based companies have signed the bio-resource access agreement this financial year, with a total of 11 statewide.
- The ABS rule is designed to ensure fair sharing of benefits from the use of natural resources.
- Despite a 60-day grace period for compliance, the response from companies has been lukewarm, indicating a gap in biodiversity conservation efforts.
Confusion prevails: This scenario highlights the challenges in enforcing biodiversity conservation regulations in the region, with experts pointing to delayed rule implementation and confusion over recent legislative amendments as key issues.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Do you watch the exit polls of news channels after polling?
- I watch the exit polls of news channels after polling.
- I don’t watch the exit polls of news channels after polling.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
Which is the best biriyani place in Bengaluru?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- City traffic police have implemented restrictions and diversions for vehicles around the Kaggadasapura flyover construction site near Versova Layout.
- Ten Vajra buses will operate daily between Bengaluru’s Attibele and Hoskote.
- Bodycraft, a salon and clinic brand, has reopened its first flagship store in Bengaluru’s Frazer Town.
- More than 30 flights were diverted to Bengaluru from Chennai due to extreme weather conditions.
- 56 Secure intends to secure over $20 million in a second funding round to extend its security network outside Bengaluru.
🛋️ Local Lounge
- I like getting drenched in the rain: 40.0%
- I don’t like getting drenched in the rain: 60.0% 🏆
Answers to Yesterday’s Question:
What’s the one thing about your office that you like?
Sriranga: “The commute”
Simon: “The friends I made over the last 8 years”
That’s it for today. Have a great day!