Good morning, Chennai!
🌧️ Today’s weather: It’s going to be partly cloudy with the possibility of some showers.
🧐 Did you know? Kerala Hair Dressers, the 83-year-old hair salon in Pondy Bazaar, doesn’t have a rate card. Although he charges ₹180 per haircut, the owner accepts what customers can give him. He’s played host to Kollywood personalities as well.
🚇 Metro’s phase II plan for Koyambedu changed
The phase 2 metro line at Koyambedu will be changed as the bus terminus will shift to a new location.
Story so far: As part of the Metro phase 2, the elevated line was originally planned at the centre of the 100-feet road passing over the existing flyover near Thirumangalam. It would’ve been a double elevated line on one side of the road with a second station integrated with the existing one.
- Officials said there’s no need to link the phase 2 alignment that was previously planned. There’s already a metro station for the phase 1 line at CMBT.
- Now, the new plan will see the Metro skip the existing station since the bus terminus will be moved. Another proposal is to cross the phase 2 route above the existing phase 1 line.
What’s the effect? Since CMBT will be skipped in this phase, people who need to switch from corridor 5 to the existing line will get down at the Thirumangalam station.
🌉 Accelerating the construction of bridges
The Chennai Corporation has quickened the pace of constructing bridges across the city.
Story so far: In Egmore, Elephant Gate, and Villivakam, the Chennai Corporation is expected to complete the construction of bridges in three months. The Mayor and Corporation Commissioner recently inspected the ongoing work.
- The one closest to completion is the bridge across the Cooum in Egmore. Then comes the one on Elephant Gate which will be ready in three months.
- The one in Villivakam will be finished by October. The Stephenson Road Bridge will be completed by the end of October.
What’s next? The escalator and skywalk in T. Nagar along with two lifts will be completed in October and November respectively. There’s also a plan for a bridge near Valluvar Kottam. Construction will begin in a few months.
🏫 Caste discrimination at Madras University
There have been several instances of caste discrimination by the university’s Vice-Chancellor (VC).
Story so far: The university’s VC still hasn’t appointed teaching staff from reserved categories. It published a notification for temporary appointments for 23 assistant professors from backward classes, SCs, and STs. Temporary postings of more than 45 days are mandated to be reserved on the basis of caste.
- The Tamil Nadu Untouchability Eradication Front (TNUEF) complained to Chief Minister MK Stalin about the lack of appointments. Also, an SC woman from the Politics and Public Administration department hasn’t been allotted a room for over a year.
- Another incident happened to a female teacher from the SC community complaining about casteist harassment. The VC allegedly tried to transfer her.
What’s next? TNUEF wants the state government to intervene. They said despite interviews conducted for the vacant posts, no one from SC communities is likely to be appointed by the VC.
🛬 Parandur residents not budging for the new airport
Residents aren’t willing to budge despite assurances about the new airport.
What’s it about? Villagers from Parandur aren’t willing to give up their land for the newly proposed airport. They have rejected the government’s offer to pay more than the market rate for their land.
- The residents say the government should pick a site closer to the city. Many of them have lived in Parandur for generations, with farming the only source of income.
- They don’t want the government’s money. They also don’t trust the government’s view that the new airport will help develop the region.
Resorted to protest: 500 villagers gathered near the Ambedkar statue in Eganapuram and hoisted black flags. On Independence Day, hundreds of villagers sent a notice to the Kancheepuram Collector demanding a change in the location of the airport.
📊 Today’s Poll
(Only subscribers can participate in the polls)
Are you a frequent user of the Chennai Metro?
- Yes, I use the Chennai Metro frequently.
- No, I don’t use the Chennai Metro frequently.
❓ Today’s Question
(Only subscribers can submit their answers)
What’s your favourite part of Chennai?
Reply to this email with your answers.
🗞️ In other news…
- Healthcare for the trans community is still a distant dream.
- Residents want the Metro feeder services to Tambaram rerouted.
- Honey is turning out to be a remedy for viral infections that trigger coughs.
- Nungambakkam could see traffic congestion as the Metro gears up for construction.
- With more staff, Chennai airport will have more immigration counters and reduce waiting time for passengers.
That’s it for today. Have a great day!