Good morning, Bengaluru!
⛅ Today’s weather: The day is expected to be highly humid with a partly cloudy sky.
💧 Bengaluru’s wettest June in a decade
So far this month, Bengaluru has recorded 198.5 mm of rainfall. This breaks the city’s record of June 2016 when 191.3 mm of rainfall was recorded.
Key details: Though Bengaluru is experiencing high rainfall this June, its wettest June was in 1996. At that time, Bengaluru recorded 228.2mm of rainfall. This year, Bengaluru records its wettest June in 10 years.
- Just on the 21st morning, the city recorded 14.5 mm of rainfall.
Present condition: The IMD forecasts spells of rain and thunderstorms till the 23rd in Karnataka. According to the IMD, Southwest monsoon activity was normal over interior Karnataka and weak over coastal Karnataka.
- The districts of coastal Karnataka and isolated locations are expected to experience heavy rainfall till the 23rd. Water logging, isolated flooding and congested traffic are expected.
🌾 Thieves target Anganwadi storeroom
A group of thieves stole a multitude of rations from an Anganwadi centre in Anjanapura village on Mysuru Road, on the outskirts of the city.
What was stolen: The thieves stole rice, toor dal, moong dal, groundnuts, cooking oil, sugar, two gas cylinders and milk powder tins.
Story so far: A complaint was filed by a teacher, KP Maheshwari. After visiting the spot, the police noticed that there are some youths who practise drama regularly in the open space next to the Anganwadi centre. No fingers are being pointed, however. A case of theft has been registered against the accused.
Key details: The atrocious thievery resulted in 21 Aganvadi students having to make do without food for 3 days. The stolen groceries were used to prepare breakfast and lunch for the students in the age group 3-11.
- Reportedly, the thieves got entry by breaking the locks of the storeroom. They only stole groceries.
🎨 Urban sketching a hit
To this day, urban sketching attracts Bengalureans in steady numbers.
What is it: Urban sketching is the practice of drawing outdoors. These could be buildings, cafes and more, whatever catches your attention at the moment.
About the movement: More than 15 people are turning up at these gatherings this year. Pre-pandemic the average turnout used to be 10-12. These ‘sketchmeets’ are free of cost and open to everyone. Free from the rules of painting and activity meant to be enjoyed, many participants found urban sketching liberating.
- People’s interest in creative expression was sparked because of the pandemic.
What happens: The participants meet at a pre-decided spot with their art tools. They disperse to make their sketch and then regroup after a few hours. When they regroup, they show and discuss their sketch.
- No marks and no criticism!
🥇 German Honour Awarded to activist
Garment Labourer Union (GLU) president Rukmini V P was awarded the 17th Bremen Solidarity Award.
Details: Rukmini V P was awarded this prestigious award for her activism and contribution to the women’s rights movement. She was chosen for her “commitment to combat violence against women and girls”. The award was presented by Andreas Bovenschulte, Mayor of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen.
- The award carried a purse of €10,000 and a sculpture by Bremen artist Bernd Altenstein.
- The GLU, a women-led union with headquarters in Bengaluru, has been fighting for the rights of employees in the apparel industry in Bengaluru and all of Karnataka.
Rukmini’s take: Upon receiving the award Rukmini said, “Global brands have failed to address the fundamental issues of precarious work, informalisation, poor wages, gendered violence, lack of access to remedy and freedom of association in garment factories worldwide.”
🗞️ In other news…
- BBMP says that the Idgah Maidan in Chamarajpet does not belong to the civic agency.
- Jnana Bharti main road caves in a day after it was asphalted.
- Restaurants and farms adopt slow living, a movement to do things at a leisurely pace.
- BDA secretly leases 2.75 acres of land to an educational trust.
- A Kerala man was arrested in Bengaluru for running an illegal telephone exchange.
That’s it for today. Have a good day!